Monday, January 7, 2013

The Trick With Brown Sugar Is...


I was making pumpkin biscuits this morning (I had to use up the leftover pumpkin from last night's batch. Good excuse, right?), when I realized I was out of brown sugar. I knew that brown sugar was made of white sugar and molasses, so I figured it couldn't be that hard to make. I looked at a few recipes on the internet, and they all said pretty much the same thing. Here is my version. 

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons of molasses (depending on how dark you want it. I use one tablespoon)



Add one cup of sugar to a mixing bowl. 



Add one tablespoon of molasses.




Mix in the molasses with a fork. It will get clumpy like this, but just work it in. 



Eventually it will look like regular old brown sugar. It doesn't have quite the same tasted of store-bought brown sugar and why go through the hassle of making it if you can just buy it for about the same price. I plan on using the recipe only if I am out of brown sugar. Also, if you have a recipe that calls for a cup of brown sugar, just use one cup of white sugar and add a tablespoon of molasses. You don't even necessarily have to go through the trouble of making the brown sugar. 




Another tip. I learned this one from my brilliant wife. Are you tired of rock-hard, dried-out brown sugar? Just throw a slice of bread in your brown sugar container for a couple of days. The sugar will absorb the moisture from the bread and soften itself. Just discard the bread, which will be hard and dry. 

Well, there you have it. How to make homemade brown sugar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment